I came across this talk of President Hinckley's that he gave at BYU almost thirty years ago and I kind of fell in love with it.
He gives advice to college students by saying:
If I were you, what would I
do?
I'd enjoy every day of my
stay
On this campus of USU.
(alright, he may have said Brigham Young U, but same idea:)
Some of my favorite quotes from the talk:
"And so I hope your experiences here
will be both challenging and pleasant. You will likely never have a greater
opportunity for happiness."
"Be happy with singing and dancing,
enjoy football and basketball—yell when you win; cry, if you wish, when you
lose."
"Experience the fun and the hard work;
both are part of the joy of being alive when you are young and healthy, and
your chin is high with a smile on your face."
"Enjoy your days, every one of them,
and, when you leave and the years pass with the cadence of the seasons, may you
look back with fondness and smiles to happy times on the magnificent campus of
your beloved alma mater."
"Never
again in all of your lives will you have an equal opportunity to learn so much
in so brief a period of time."
"It is your opportunity, yes, it is your
responsibility while here, to cultivate a spiritual dimension in your lives as
you train your minds in secular matters. Every student in this great and unique
university may come to know—in fact, he or she has the obligation to come to
know for himself or herself—that God our Eternal Father lives and that Jesus is
the Christ, the Savior and the Redeemer of mankind."
Summer coming to an end is definitely bittersweet.
It has honestly been one of the best summers of my life but I can hardly wait to be back in Logan to my favorite Utah State and to meet new people, be with my past and future roommates, and have all of the adventures that comes with being a college student.
This talk reminded me to make the most out of this time in my life and to
make memories that will last a lifetime.